Published in NJ Heart and Lung News
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. It is implicated in fully one-quarter of all US deaths each year. We are all familiar with the risk factors for heart disease; they include smoking, high cholesterol, hypertension, obesity, a sedentary lifestyle, diabetes, and stress. But it turns out there are other risk factors that might surprise you.
Research shows that someone is six times more likely to have a heart attack the week after having the flu than in the entire year before and after having it. While the reason for this is unknown, it certainly adds to the already abundant evidence that getting a flu shot every year is an important step to take for our health.
Your dentist is not the only one who wants you to floss your teeth. Your cardiologist does, too. Research shows that bacteria that enters your system through your gums can cause inflamed arteries. So now you can consider taking care of your teeth and gums to also be taking care of your heart.
Who would have thought that loneliness is a risk factor for heart disease? Yet research shows that loneliness raises risk as much as secondhand smoke does. Feeling alone can cause both stress and high blood pressure, and both of these increase the odds of heart disease.
Noise is all around us: the sounds of people on their cell phones, the honking of cars on the street, even the constant hum of the appliances in our homes. Research has demonstrated that the constant noise around us causes a stress reaction, which in turn increases our risk of heart disease.
At the NJ Heart and Lung Center™, we create an individualized plan for each patient. This is proven to prevent readmission to the hospital, and to improve independence.
Regency Jewish has partnered with the area's leading cardiologists and pulmonologists to create a program that:
- Reduces hospital readmissions and patient length of stay
- Maximizes ability for patient to regain ADL skills and independence
- Offers 24/7/365 physician coverage through on-site staff and advanced telemedicine program
- Has an on-site sleep study program to unlock Medicare benefit for Bipap utilization upon discharge
- Offers STAT availability of Labs, X-Ray and other diagnostic tools
Our Outcomes & Capabilities include:
- Cardiologist and pulmonologist on site daily for immediate intervention
- Specialized rehab & nursing protocols developed in partnership with leading cardiologists & pulmonologists
- A plan proven to prevent readmission to the hospital and improve patient independence and functionality
- Regular Communication Between Patient, Family, Staff & Physicians
- Collaborative care planning with other physician & therapy specialists
- Advanced staff education & training
- Transitional care nurse & enhanced discharge-to-home process
- Follow-up home visit within 24-48 hours
- Educational material provided to patients & families
Regency prides itself on offering the very best of care in a patient-centered environment. This means always listening to our residents and patients and respecting their capabilities, while helping them to achieve maximum functionality and independence. And always maintaining the highest professional and quality standards in our staff and our facilities. Our 25 years of excellent care have led to us being awarded a Best Nursing Homes award by US News & World Today, a 5-Star rating by USA Today, and an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau, among many other awards. Contact us by clicking here.